How to transfer DesignMerge from one computer to a different computer
This article describes how to transfer all of your DesignMerge software and settings from one computer system to a different computer system. Your DesignMerge settings are stored in a Meadows folder that exists inside of the Adobe InDesign Preferences folder.
For this article, we will reference the current/old system as the Old System, and the new system as the New System. Follow the steps below to transfer your DesignMerge installation and all of its settings:
1) DEACTIVATE SOFTWARE ON OLD SYSTEM
Since you are transferring your software to a completely different computer system, you need to deactivate the software on the Old System before the transfer. For details about deactivation, please visit the following link:
If you do not have access to the Old System for some reason, please contact Meadows Technical Support to open a support ticket and request a license reset. You will need to have your Order Code or Serial Number so we know which license to reset.
2) LOCATE MEADOWS FOLDER ON OLD SYSTEM
Below are steps to make a copy of the settings for transfer:
- To locate the settings that you wish to move/copy on the Old System, with Adobe InDesign running, open the DesignMerge menu on the Old System and select Help > Open Settings Folder. This should open the Meadows folder that is inside of the InDesign preferences folder for the version of InDesign you are running. NOTE: If this approach is not available for you, then use the link below for additional instructions about how to locate the Meadows folder.
Where do I find the InDesign Preferences and Meadows Preferences Folder?
- Next (optional), if you want to reduce the size of the Meadows folder you will be transferring, look for a folder called DesignMerge that is inside of the Meadows folder. Inside of the DesignMerge folder, you will see a folder called Index Files. This folder can sometimes contain large, temporary files. You can safely delete the Index Files folder if you want to.
- Make a copy of the entire Meadows folder. For example, place a copy of this folder in an easy-to-find location that you can share with the other location where you will be transferring these settings. We recommend making a zip file of the Meadows folder to ensure the integrity of the files during the transfer.
3) INSTALL DESIGNMERGE ON THE NEW SYSTEM
If you have not yet done so, install the DesignMerge software on the new system:
- Download the installer for the DesignMerge software product that you desire, confirming you are choosing an installer that is appropriate for the version of InDesign where you will be installing the software. DesignMerge installers are available on the Meadows Downloads Page.
- Place the download on the New System where you wish to install the software and then follow the instructions that are provided with the installer.
- Once the software has been installed, launch InDesign and activate the DesignMerge software.
4) TRANSFER MEADOWS FOLDER TO NEW SYSTEM
Now you can simply place the Meadows folder into the identical location on the New System. Follow the instructions presented in step 2 above to find the appropriate location for the Meadows folder on the New System. If a Meadows folder already exists in this location, simply delete it or, if you wish to keep a backup copy of the original settings on your New System, you can re-name the folder and just leave it in that location. Then place the Meadows folder you copied from the Old System into this location on the New System.
This completes the transfer. All of your activation settings, DDF settings, TransTables, and any SQL Fragments have been transferred from the Old System to the New System. All you need to do now is to restart Adobe InDesign on the New System.
5) (OPTIONAL) TRANSFER CUSTOM SCRIPTS
If you are using any custom scripts with your DesignMerge software on the Old System, then you will also want to copy these scripts to the New System. To do this, please follow these steps:
- Go to the following folder location on the Old System:
Adobe InDesign/Scripts/Scripts Panel/Meadows
- Make a copy of the Meadows folder* that is inside of the Scripts Panel folder on the Old System.
- Transfer this Meadows folder and place it into the Scripts Panel folder on the New System.
* If you do not have a folder called Meadows in the Scripts Panel folder on the Old System, then it is very likely that you are not running any custom scripts.
REMEMBER: HELP IS AVAILABLE!
If you have any difficulty at all, we are here to help. Please feel free to open a support ticket by going to the Meadows Online Support Center: