A variable link is importing a filename instead of importing the text file content
If you would like a variable link to import the contents of a text file, you must select Article for the variable link's Type setting.
When a variable link's Type is set to Text, the variable link will treat the data as text (the variable link in the document will display the filename).
When a variable link's Type is set to Article, then the variable link will treat the data as the name of a text file to be imported into the document.
To access a variable link's settings, follow the steps below:
- Open the document for this VDP job. This will automatically select the document's DDF as the Current DDF.
- Open the Variable Links dialog by selecting Setup > Variable Links from the DesignMerge menu.
- Select the variable link by its name in the list on the left side of the Variable Links dialog. This will display its settings on the right side of the dialog.
- Confirm the variable link's Type is set to Article.
- When ready, click the OK button to save any changes and close the dialog.
- The next time this variable link is merged, the variable link will import the contents of the text file specified by the data.
For more information about how to use Article links, please visit the Video Training site.