A merged Link is displaying a text filename instead of importing the named text file.
If you would like a Link to import a text file, you must select Article for the Variable Link's Link Type setting. When the Link Type is set to Text, the Link will treat the data as text (the Link will display the filename as text). When the Link Type is set to Article, then the Variable Link will treat the data as the name of a text file to be imported into the document.
To access a Variable Link's settings, follow the steps below:
- Open the document for this VDP job. This will automatically select the document's DDF as the Current DDF.
- Open the Variable Links window by selecting Setup > Variable Links from the DesignMerge menu.
- On the Variable Links window, select the Variable Link by its name in the list on the left side of the window. This will display its settings on the right side of the window.
- Confirm the Variable Link's Link Type is set to Article.
- When ready, click the OK button to close the Variable Links window.
- The next time this Link is merged, the Link will import the text file specified by the data for that Link.
For more information and an example of a document that uses an Article Variable Link, see Tutorial #1a (The Basics) in the DesignMerge Tutorial Manual, available in PDF format in the DesignMerge product folder on your system.