Link is not merging - Link does not change when document is merged
There are several different settings that will prevent a Link from being changed by a merge session:
- Confirm the content that is not changing has been assigned to a Variable Link. To determine this, you can set the document to show DesignMerge visual indicators for Links, or you can use the DesignMerge floating palette to confirm the content has been tagged as a Link. It may also be helpful to run a Variable Link Report Test merge session. A Variable Link Report will list all of the Links that are in the document, providing information about their settings and current status, which will indicate whether a Link is encountering an error and if a Link is Locked, as described next.
- Confirm that you have not locked the Link in the document by checking the Lock checkbox option on the DesignMerge floating palette. Locking a Link in a document indicates that this one Link should not be merged or changed by a merge session.
- Confirm that you have not locked the Variable Link by checking the Lock checkbox option on the Variable Links window. Locking a Variable Link indicates that all instances of this Link in a document should not be merged or changed by a merge session.
- Confirm that you have not selected the If Link is Empty: Ignore setting for this Variable Link. Selecting this setting indicates that DesignMerge should not merge or change this Link when a record does not have any data for it.
- Confirm your DesignMerge Preferences are set to provide the results you would prefer. For example, confirm you have your Preferences set to merge All Links. Also, review how you would prefer a merge session handle various error conditions. For example, when a Missing File error condition is encountered, consider whether you would prefer Picture Links remain unchanged or have a visual indicator merged into the Link to indicate an error was encountered.
For more information, see Tutorial #1a (The Basics) in the DesignMerge Tutorial Manual, which is available in PDF format in the DesignMerge product folder on your system. This tutorial provides step-by-step instructions and helpful information for setting up Variable Links, placing Links in a document, showing visual indicators for Links in a document, using the DesignMerge floating palette, and running a Variable Link Report. For more information about DesignMerge Preferences, see Tutorial #5 (Tips & Tricks) in the DesignMerge Tutorial Manual.