Digital print controller is not imposing a job correctly.
First, confirm you have selected the appropriate Paper Size when you started the DesignMerge Print Driver merge session. Additionally, for PostScript Driver output, confirm you have selected a specific paper size; do not select Defined by Driver (see the DesignMerge PostScript output is not printing at the correct paper size Knowledgebase article for more information).
To confirm you have selected the appropriate Paper Size, merge a small range of records -- just enough to print one imposed sheet of paper. If your digital print controller cannot impose this small job correctly, open a Meadows Support Ticket (http://www.meadowsps.com/support) to receive instructions to send this small job to Meadows for examination to determine whether there is a problem in the Paper Size that was specified in this output.
Then, if you would like to complete production of this VDP job while waiting for a resolution, you can set up your document to merge as a multiple-up document instead of a single-up document. This will provide you full control over the imposition, and this will avoid any problems you may have encountered by imposing the job on your digital print controller.
To set up a multiple-up document that will not need to be imposed on the printer, do the following:
- Change the page size of the document to the size of the sheet of paper on which the job will be printed. If you wish, you can set the Margins to mirror the printer margins of your digital printer.
- Lay out all of the content for one record. Include any Marks (Crop Marks, Bleed Marks, Registration Marks, etc.). TIP: Both QuarkXPress and InDesign provide a script to add Marks quickly and easily.
- Run DesignMerge Tests to confirm this single "up" of content is merging satisfactorily.
- When ready, replicate the single "up" of content on the sheet of paper, positioning each "up" as you wish.
- Then, use the DesignMerge Sequence Page Items utility to resequence the Links consecutively. This sets up the Links to merge different records.
- Run DesignMerge Tests to confirm the document is set up satisfactorily. NOTE: When merging, you can choose whether to merge the variable data into the document in a Step-By-Step or in a Cut & Stack manner.
- When ready, produce your DesignMerge output.
NOTE: For a more detailed example of setting up and merging a multiple-up document, please see Tutorial #3 (ID Badges) in the DesignMerge Tutorial Manual, which is available in PDF format in the DesignMerge product folder on your system.
TIP: You may also find that overall performance for the production of a VDP job is improved by setting up the job as a multiple-up document that does not need to be imposed by your digital print controller.