How do I remove Empty Fields, and Empty Lines?
To set up a Link to be removed if the data for that link is empty, please follow these steps:
- Open the Variable Links window (DesignMerge > Setup > Variable Links...)
- In the list of Links on the left side of the Variable Links window, select the Link that will sometimes be empty. This will display that Link's settings on the right side of the window.
- In the Empty Link area on the right side of the Variable Links window, select Delete using the dropdown menu, as shown below:
This will instruct DesignMerge to delete the link if the record being processed contains an empty data field.
- If you also want to remove the Link's line when the Link is deleted, check the Remove Empty Lines checkbox option. This will instruct DesignMerge to remove each line the Link was on whenever there are no remaining printable characters on the line. This is useful for situations like an Address 2 line, where you want the entire line to be removed if the Link for the Address 2 is empty, thereby allowing the text below it to fill in the gap.
NOTE: Enabling this option will remove the Line Ending character that was at the end of any line that the Link was on in the document. This does not remove any Line Ending character that preceded the Link. To remove preceding Line Ending characters, see the How do I remove a preceding Line Ending when a Link is empty? Knowledgebase Article.
- Click OK to save these new settings and close the Variable Links dialog window.
For more information, including an example of setting up a Link to be deleted if empty, see Tutorial #1a (The Basics) in the DesignMerge Tutorial Manual, available in PDF format. The tutorials may be downloaded at www.meadowsps.com/documentation.