What is a Variable Link?
A Variable Link is a component of a DesignMerge or AutoPrice Database Definition (DDF) and is used to associate content in a document to a field of data in a database file.
Each Variable Link can have specific settings assigned to it, such as how it should behave if a record does not have any data in the Link's field, or if the Link should add any Prefix or Suffix to the data it receives. These settings can be changed at any time by editing the DDF.
For more information and examples of setting up various types of Variable Links, see Tutorial #1a (The Basics) in the DesignMerge Tutorial Manual or Tutorial #1 (The Basics) in the AutoPrice Tutorial Manual.
ABOUT MEADOWS DESIGNMERGE® PRO SOFTWARE
DesignMerge® Pro, a powerful suite of variable-data printing and data publishing software for Adobe InDesign or QuarkXPress, provides the ability to automatically produce variable USPS Intelligent Mail Bar Codes.
Other major features of DesignMerge include automatic copy-fitting, advanced conditional programming (Rules), and multi-up imposition support. DesignMerge supports all of the major variable data output formats, including PostScript, PPML, PDF/VT, and Creo VPS and is compatible with printers from every major vendor.
In addition, DesignMerge can also be extended to produce variable 2D Bar Codes (QR Codes, PDF417, and Data Matrix) and other types of Linear Bar Codes (Code 128, UPC, Code 39, etc.). DesignMerge is great for creating personalized publications such as invitations, business cards, certificates, custom catalogs, etc.
For more information about DesignMerge, go to http://www.designmerge.com.
ABOUT MEADOWS AUTOPRICE™ SOFTWARE
AutoPrice, available as plug-ins for Adobe InDesign or XTensions for QuarkXPress, helps to streamline the production and versioning of catalogs, price lists, retail flyers and financial documents.
AutoPrice provides sophisticated linking of InDesign or QuarkXPress documents to any external database of information (either flat-file, or ODBC). AutoPrice is great for performing price, picture, or text updates for any type of information that can be referenced by a “key value” such as product number (SKU).
• Saves time by automatically updating information from any flat-file or ODBC-compliant database. No more manual price changes.
• Allows last-minute revisions so published information is always current & consistent.
• Reduces errors and speeds proofing.
• Includes helpful reporting features for the AutoPrice tagged content in your documents.
• Allows you to instantly swap out product pictures, logos or any type of graphic image.
• Automate versioning: spin off multiple catalog versions from a single original.
• Extend AutoPrice with the optional AutoPrice Exporter Pro software to extract data from a QuarkXPress or InDesign document to a database file, which can then be used to populate Web, e-commerce or digital content databases .
• Extend AutoPrice with the optional AutoPrice PDF Exporter software to produce PDFs that contain hyperlinks based on the AutoPrice Links in your documents.
• Extend AutoPrice with the optional Meadows 2D Bar Code software to place updatable 2D Bar Codes (QR Codes, PDF417, and Data Matrix) in your documents.
For more information about AutoPrice, go to http://www.meadowsps.com/autoprice.
Copyright © Meadows Information Systems, LLC d/b/a Meadows Publishing Solutions. All rights reserved worldwide.
DesignMerge is a registered trademark of Meadows Information Systems, LLC.
AutoPrice is a trademark of Meadows Information Systems, LLC.
Index Builder and Index Tagger are trademarks of Meadows Information Systems, LLC.
Adobe and InDesign are registered trademarks of Adobe, Inc.
Quark, QuarkXPress and XTensions are registered trademarks of Quark, Inc.